Apply for Postgraduate Medical Education Elective Training
As a postgraduate medical resident, you may register for an elective rotation at the University of Toronto in order to satisfy a specified part of the requirements of the ongoing residency training program in which you are enrolled at your home institution.
Steps to Apply:
- Contact the hospital coordinator for your desired site to inquire about availability. (See contact information below)
- Review the process and guidelines laid out by the Postgraduate Medical Education Program
- Email the Education Coordinator to let us know the details of your elective application (date, site and supervisor)
Should you experience any difficulties, please e-mail the Education Coordinator. This will allow us to address any roadblocks that you might experience while proceeding through the formal elective application process.
Eligibility for Licensure
In order to be considered for elective training, applicants must be eligible for a certificate authorizing postgraduate education (an educational-type medical license) from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO), the body which regulates the practice of medicine in Ontario. The CPSO’s requirements for the licensure of elective residents vary, depending on the applicant’s school of medical degree graduation and on the home institution where the applicant is enrolled in ongoing residency training.
Work Permit Requirement for International Trainees
If you are an applicant who is accepted for elective residency training at the University of Toronto and you are not a Canadian citizen or do not have Canadian permanent resident status, you must have a work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for the full duration of your elective training.
- The Hospital for Sick Children - Anne Rodriguez-Hall
- Sinai Health - Soojin Lee
- Michael Garron Hospital - Roselle Matriz-Arancillo
- North York General Hospital - Tiziana Altobelli
- St. Michael's Hospital - Julie Chapman
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre - Elsa Benjamin
- Trillium Health Partners - Lorraine Ferraro
- University Health Network - Laura di Liddo